Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Red Rock cafe is the place its at

Product demo's in Mountain View


shapeimage_1-2.jpgSo I met an old friend in Mountain View for dinner and a coffee. I have know Roger B for many years back from my Oracle days. He’s been V.P of Engineering or higher roles at various organizations (WebVan, Apple etc.). He’s doing something related to managing AdSense words at the moment for a startup in Mountain View at present (forgot who).

So after a very nice Thai dinner (thanks Roger) I gave him a demo in Red Rock coffee on Castro Street. So, he had little idea of what the product was about or what I had been doing, but after the initial “very nice ajax GUI” and I nights sleep I got the following back :

Value: Yes, but right now it's still a feature (with good ip). A question to ask would be that now that you can do this, what are you going to do with the information? If it is calling the snap api, I think that needs to become more front and center of the pitch.


Model: I think it makes sense. I think it's important to have some way of keeping track of where the db files go, so that you don't reindex files unnesserily and also that you can surprise a dba by having returns show up immediately if you've seen the file before. This could be another feature onto itself... Finally, not sure if you can scan files incrementally (i.e. only the delta). This could be done by caching the inodes of the blocks, and only scanning the new blocks. This assumes that blocks don't move on the filesystem of course.


Show: I think Michael would be a prime candidate...


Launch: Get a marketig guy to develop a pitch :-) Really, I think there are several ways to position this, and I think you should spar with someone and explore at least let's say 3 of them..


HTH,
-Roger


So this made me feel great. If what I had was complete BS then Roger would have called me on it. Funny enough, the guy at the next table listened in and gave some useful suggestions on “nio” and scanning large files. So kudos to Jon Frisby a.k.a MrJoy from www.mrjoy.com for big ears! In case you want to “hang out” too, here’s the map for Red Rock Cafe.


View Larger Map

No comments: