Monday, August 27, 2007

Progress to date

One month later...


A depressing small number of tasks complete.jpg
So I could look at the picture above and get depressed, since this is the tasks completed list. Its 27 days since the last update and boy what a lot of code has been written and a hell of a lot of things learnt including, but not limited to,

  • JavaScript
  • CSS
  • Java 1.5 (gosh this generics stuff is great!)
  • GWT
  • Ruby and Ruby-on-rails
  • Fusion FreeCharts and Flash
Its been a big learning curve, especially the week elapsed thrown away after I abandoned Runy-on-rails. I’ll write up one day the pros and cons for both Ruby-on-rails and GWT, they are both have some pitfalls as some things I really like.

So I have been also at the same time setting up my virtualized environment. I now have a DNS server curtsey of a very, very old Dell laptop and VMWare is up and running on the new MacPro. FredBSD and Linux distributions seemed to be no problem. Solaris 10 was very painful.

FreeBSD running under OS-X

Firstly the DVD iso images would not install with VMWare, so I eventually went to the CD images. Made some progress but Solaris does not seem to be that happy or stable. I probably need to kill it and start again.

No comments: